Jul 11, 2008

Introduction

Every good story needs an introduction. If done correctly, this would include a "hook" to draw your attention, a little bit of action to keep that attention, and some information about the setting and characters. I'm not quite sure that suits me, so I think my introduction is going to be a bit different.
Nothing I could possibly say about myself would give any indication of who I am. Vague as that is, perhaps it would make a bit more sense if I said that age, gender, race, species, and any kind of physical appearance whatsoever is irrelevant to me. It is what's inside one's head that truly matters. One's mind, more accurately, since I do not mean the physical parts that make up one's head, but instead the unseen thoughts that we all have, but most seldom use. Telling someone who you are is like smiling for a picture and saying that you were happy when it was taken: you may have been, or you may not have been, but it doesn't really matter. Just show the picture and let it speak for itself, it knows better than you do -- you could say "I was happy," but a picture can say one-thousand words.
My point is, I will not introduce myself; I will introduce my mind. Instead of writing everything I think or believe here in this post, I'll write one line:

"Humanity is a blessing and a curse; the cure and the plague."

It's sitting in a notebook off to my right, all alone on the page. An abstract thought, at best. I'm not even sure what I meant by it. So, I'll leave you to ponder it, and I'll do the same.
All good books have conclusions; ones that refer back to the introduction. My life doesn't have a conclusion just yet, and my introduction deviated from any formal mold. If I've introduced my mind, how do I conclude it? I don't think I'm ready to do that just yet, so I'm going to take out my notebook and let some thoughts take form on it's pages.

2 comments:

The Goddamn Professor C. Robert Traiken said...

That quote makes perfect sense, because humanity encompasses everything we know. Anything good or bad that has ever been done has been done by a human. So, despite whatever someone's perspective may be, you can't sum up humanity as good or bad, because to have one you must have the other to contrast it. And if all you have to judge are human events, then you have both good and bad at the same time.

55 said...

Ah, you thought about this in a slightly different way than I did. I was thinking less about what humans have done and more about what they are. I love humans, even with all their flaws, because every single one has good in them, even if it's not obvious. The balance of good and bad can be seen within every indicidual human, not just humanity as a whole.