Jul 14, 2008

Human Desires

Now might be a good time to type up something I wrote in my notebook about a week ago. It's about level of human desire and how they relate to what I consider to be intelligence. I find myself constantly thinking about it and referring back to it.
So here it is:

The simplest of human beings are the ones with the simplest desires: the ones who only desire sleep, food, and sex. These are the three things that any species absolutely needs to keep in existence. At the next level is the emotions. Not all living things have emotions, but all have the "desires" (if you can call them that without emotion) on the first level. The desires caused by emotions, including the need to love/be loved and the need to protect family, are more advanced than the desires of the simplest humans -- or any creatures, for that matter-- but they still do nothing more than perpetuate a species, and create a multitude of bad movies.
It's those of us who don't sleep, don't enjoy eating, don't have sex and/or, in the very least, push our desires for love and family onto the back-burner, who have the ability to move the species forward. Instead of having the desires of most humans, we get our joy from knowledge, learning, and thinking. Needless to say, those basic desires are still there, they're just not important.
A possible explanation for the lack of interest in the middle desires -- the emotions -- would be how we are raised. If we don't learn how to love and be loved at an early age, perhaps we never will. It may seem like a bad thing, but maybe not. Without those distractions, we are able to think about more worthwhile things.
These are the types of people who I find truly intelligent: those who enjoy thinking and ignoring simple desires.
It's hard to trace exactly what brings us into existence, but we're few and far between. Due to suppressed, or complete lack of, interest in sex, we're surely not going to breed and make more of us. It's the stupid folk who will make millions of stupid offspring. Some things are better in small quantities, though.

Something related I wrote a couple days after:
Everyone seems to at least leak into the middle stage; the emotions. I don't think anyone can be completely in that third level without ending up in a mental home. I think that's the direction I'm headed in.

In retrospect, I think I may have been a tad bit over-opinionated in writing all this. I must have been depressed at the time.

1 comment:

The Goddamn Professor C. Robert Traiken said...

"... but they still do nothing more than perpetuate a species, and create a multitude of bad movies."

This line made me, as the children say, "ell-oh-ell."

"It's those of us who don't sleep, don't enjoy eating, don't have sex and/or, in the very least, push our desires for love and family onto the back-burner, who have the ability to move the species forward."

And this line made me feel very good about myself, instead of feeling like a total fuck-up.