Jul 15, 2008

Social Interaction

I've noticed that the more I reject social interaction, the more it seems to find me, and vise versa. I've seen it among other people, as well. It's like if you don't give people the attention they want, they try to get it. I have a feeling that, for me, the fact that I avoid saying anything about myself often give people grounds for making it up in their heads. They think what they want to think and create a person they want to talk to. The fact that I often don't want to talk to them somehow causes a sort of magnetic pull to me.
However, when I am the one wanting attention and social interaction, it flees like a child or a small animal. It's as if people just have these radars that can sense who does and doesn't want to be talked to, and they talk to the one's who don't want to be talked to.
I have a feeling confidence has quite a bit to do with it as well. People are drawn to confidence like mosquitos to bug-zappers, which is quite an accurate comparison, because confidence really doesn't tell that much about a person (Edit: And people can be quite stupid and blood-sucking, like mosquitos). Often, once you get to that bug-zapper of a person, you'll find that it's still very pretty, but it's killed all of your friends.
That last sentence strayed away from my point a bit. It would be an interesting starting point for a story, though. Gah! This post is horrible; it has no organization whatsoever. I didn't even think about it much before writing it. I'm still going to try to save it with a conclusion though! Here it comes:
With specific people, as opposed to groups, the less you show them attention, the more they seek it. This may be because they are used to receiving that attention, or it's just one of their needs as human beings. Either way, when they don't get that attention, they unintentionally try to start conversation. Conversation would be the usual, automatic reaction, though I'm sure there are plenty of other ways someone might act if they don't get that attention through talking -- like a child throwing a tantrum.
However, when you are on the side that is seeking attention -- trying to start conversations or throwing tantrums -- the more the person being shown that attention seems to unintentionally back off. They would rather have the attention of someone who isn't already giving it to them. This often happens with groups as well; if you want to be one of the "popular kids," (I'm not just talking about children, this sort of grouping occurs with all ages, they just refuse to call it such a thing) they're not going to want to have anything to do with you.
I'm sure neither of these types, the givers and receivers of attention, act this way intentionally. They probably don't even realize what's happening. It makes some kind of cycle though, one person giving attention to another who doesn't want that attention so they seek it from someone else entirely who is uninterested in their. . . interest. Wow, good luck with that sentence. My conclusion was going so well, too.

1 comment:

The Goddamn Professor C. Robert Traiken said...

"Often, once you get to that bug-zapper of a person, you'll find that it's still very pretty, but it's killed all of your friends."

I quite liked this line as well, you should see where it takes you.